Saturday, May 5, 2007

"Getting lost every single time I left my apartment."


Uptown Bar and Grill at 2 A.M. Photo from How Was The Show?


Not many people know this, but I lived in Minneapolis in the summer of 1994. The reason not many people know this is because I only lived there for five weeks. As such, there's not much in Minneapolis for me to be nostalgic about; I didn't even live there long enough to keep from getting lost every single time I left my apartment. However, I did saunter into the Uptown Bar and Grill twice a week (always for supper on Sunday night), so this place serves as my emotive ground zero by default. The Uptown Bar and Grill is interesting, because it's almost like two wholly different establishments: One half of the room is like a dive bar-rock club, and the other half is a nice little Midwestern restaurant. The night before the '94 Lollapalooza, I was able to eat a delicious hot turkey sandwich with potatoes and gravy while listening to a semi-hard rock band called Hester Moffet. Everybody in the place was drinking Rolling Rock, and two girls told me it was because Rolling Rock is Rock 'n' Roll in reverse. We were all pretty stupid in the good old days.

Per capita, Minneapolis produces more rock critics than any city on earth. If you meet a rock critic who isn't from New York, there's a 33 percent chance they were raised (or once worked) in the Twin Cities.

-Chuck Klosterman, Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story, 2005

No comments: